Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Raising Baby Green"

I am really enjoying the new book I am reading.  I already eat almost entirely organic, but it gives a lot of advice about baby items that I have enjoyed learning about.  The author is a pediatrician and his website has lots of helpful info too!

I found this statistic interesting!  98% of Americans feed their children white rice cereal.  I was really shocked by this, b/c I haven't eaten white rice in years b/c I know it has barely any nutritional value!  I was surprised that it was feed to babies!  Here is a quote from www.DrGreene.com I found very informative, he says it is equal to feeding your baby a spoonful of sugar =(

"What if white rice helped trigger diabetes and brown rice helped to prevent it, regardless of lifestyle? That's just what a 2010 Harvard study suggests. Brown rice is a delicious whole food, packed with flavor and with protective nutrients. But all of the sugar-stabilizing fiber and all of the essential fatty acids are stripped out to make polished white rice, along with most of the magnesium, iron, B vitamins, and lignans, and half of the phosphorus and manganese. To make baby food rice cereal, the white rice is even further processed. And this depleted, out-of-balance, processed white flour becomes the eagerly-anticipated first bite of solids for most babies in the US"

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I found a pediatrician that takes somewhat of a holistic approach with a focus on organic/clean diets and was eager to work with me on selective vaccinations. My boys first food was avocado and neither ever had any interest in the nasty brown rice cereal ... I didn't offer them solids until closer to 7-8 months and then I made their baby food until they were better at table food. I also avoid meat until after 12 months but that is just because I don't really like it ... we eat a lot of lentils and beans! I personally don't only eat organic and not always healthy but they are only little once and I don't want to put so much processed stuff into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree!! How did you find your pediatrician? I would love to find someone like that in my area, but havent heard of one yet. I do see a naturopathic Dr. who is really good, but everything is out of pocket and not covered by insurance.

    ReplyDelete